Reading and discussing the epic fantasy novel Melokai by Rosalyn Kelly for your book club? Here are fifteen questions that should help to get the conversation flowing.
1) What were your first impressions of Melokai? Did it hook you from the start or did it take a while to get into?
2) Is Melokai character driven, or plot based, or both?
3) What was your favourite quote / passage / scene / chapter?
4) Which of the eight Point of View characters (Ramya, Darrio, Ferraz, Ammad, Jessima, Violya, Ganni, Toby) did you like/relate to the most? The least? What was it about the character that you connected to?
5) What did you think of the worldbuilding? Which part of the setting did you find the most intriguing or interesting?
6) What themes did you identify within the novel? Were some more obvious than others?
7) How did the main characters change throughout the story? Did your opinion of them change by the end?
8) How did the structure of the book impact the story? e.g. told from different point of views, the timeline, different settings
9) How did you feel about the ending? What did you like / dislike? Would you have wanted it to end differently?
10) If Melokai was going to be adapted into a movie, who would you want to play the parts?
11) There’s a lot of female power and dominance over men in the novel, do you think Melokai is a feminist book?
12) If you were Ramya, and had fallen in love for the first time, would you have acted in the same way by taking time off from your ‘day job’?
13) The wolves react viciously to the death of Zirrio, which sparks war with Peqkya. Do you sympathise with them? Or not?
14) Do you understand why Violya kept her magical talents hidden for so long? Or do you think she was wrong to do so when the country was searching for those with The Sight?
15) Ammad acts despicably in some situations, do you think his mother Jakira has brought him up to be a spoilt brat with no care for others or do you think her presence keeps him under control? Why do you think Jakira allowed him to take on the mission in the desert to root out and destroy the Fert helpers?
Hope you have a great book club chat!
Click here for your free ebook of my fantasy novella THE FALL OF VAASAR.
Click here for my Book Review Policy.
Are you on Goodreads? Let's be friends! Find me here.
Subscribe to my email mailing list to be notified about new releases, giveaways, price promotions, free books, free short stories as well as exclusive extra content.